Monday, December 2, 2019

Cheap 500 Series rack

I thought I would share my solution for cheaply powering some 500 series modules. I had these two dbx 530 eq units laying around and didn't want to take up any space in my dedicated 11 space 500 rack on them. Since eqs don't need the +48 volt rail for phantom power, all you need is bipolar. I had a cheap Paia +/- 15 vdc power supply meant for modular synths lying around, and a blank 2U rack panel that I chopped some rectangular holes in. I also had some Elco edge connectors salvaged from an old Ramsa console backplane. The power rails and unbalanced I/O pigtails are wired directly to the Elco connectors. Even if I had bought all the supplies it would probably only have cost $100 or so. I think the cheapest off the shelf 2 space 500 rack is more like $250?

NB the official API 500 series standard is +/- 16 v, so it's possible you would run into issues with some modules if they really need that last volt. The dbx eq's run fine on 15. With different regulators, the Paia PS could be made to put out 16 v without too much trouble, too.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Consensus Madness 7"

 Consensus Madness will be putting out two releases this year that I have been part of. First is this 7" on Iron Lung Records, which I ...